Sunday, April 25, 2010

Surprise, Surprise!!



What a whirlwind weekend! Sangam's parents came in to town to surprise him for his birthday; I felt pretty awesome pulling it off without him knowing. So, on the day of the 'big event', I leave directly after school to get birthday balloons for Sangam and flowers for his mom and dad. I zoom past the traffic, excitedly singing to the radio; secretly I can't believe this is working....I spoke waaaaay too soon.

Finally, I get to the airport; naively, I pull up to the parking 'toll', and read the directions, "please insert credit card or push button for ticket." I take out my card and quickly insert it into the slot...nothing happens. I start pushing the button, still nothing. Then, on the screen pops the message, "ticket jam!" Wonderful!! I panic, and try to turn my car off, promptly locking my car keys into place. I accost the first car that pulls up next to me, a father and his young child...he replies with, "I never put my card in those things," and drives off.

At this point I am plotting how to sneak into the parking ramp behind someone, so I can talk to someone about my credit card!! Finally, and unsuspecting elderly person slowly drives through the toll next to me, and I make it to the other side!!! I talk to the nicest man at the ticket booth, who is able to retrieve my card, and assure me that no, I am not an idiot for what just happened!

Back on my game, I quickly park my car and take the elevator down to baggage claim. Waiting, I sit down and check some phone messages; one in particular from my mother in law. "I'm so sorry; I hope you get this message before you leave the airport, we are delayed here, and won't be leaving for another 2 hours!" Now, I think to myself, this seems like a surprise party I am planning. If it doesn't involve stress and sweating, don't worry, it will!

In the end everything worked out. I let Sangam in on the surprise over the phone; he drove out to the airport to pick me up for dinner. When my in-laws flight finally did come in, we had a wonderful time visiting the town of Kemah (a fun boardwalk modeled after Coney Island), eating BBQ, relaxing in the Museum District of Houston; catching up on life.

In the end, I love the planning and excitement of the surprise, and the quirky mistakes end up being great stories to tell on your blog :).



2 comments:

  1. What a sweet wife you are! I;m glad it ended up working out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are too much! That is soo funny :) I love how the most 'awful' things turn out to be great story material in the future!! What a great birthday surprise for Sam!!

    ReplyDelete